Friday, February 26, 2016

Sins of the Past A Romantic Supense Novella Collection by Dee Henderson, Dani Pettrey and Lynette Eason

Three suspense novellas in one book.

Missing by Dee Henderson is the first novella in this book.  John Graham, a Wyoming sheriff has come back home to Chicago because his mother Martha has come up missing. Her car is in its spot and her purse with all the contents is next to the front door. Martha lives in a retirement home. Is Martha the victim of foul play? Is so what could be the motive? Could it be someone John Graham arrested in the past has a grudge against John and wants revenge. Also I was wondering if maybe Martha had onset of dementia and lost her way. Lt. Sharon Noble helps John in his quest to find out what happened to his mother. The novella kept me engaged since I wanted to find out what happened to his mother. Of course you do eventually find out what happens but I shall not give too much of the story away.  In the end a friendship develops between John and Sharon and is implied that it could develop into something more.

Shadowed by Dani Pettrey is the second novella in this book. This novel is more of a prequel to his Alaska Courage series which consists of five books and deals with one family, the McKennas. This novella is about the parents Libby and Ben, how they met, the mystery they helped solved and their love story. It started out suspenseful with the discovery of a female corpse in the water.  Libby was a competitive swimmer and recognized the victim as a member of the Russian team. As the story progressed it seem to drag some the main reason was too hard to keep up with all the characters. I had never read any of the Alaska Courage books so this novella did spark an interest in me reading the Alaska Courage books.

The last novella was Blackout by Lynette Eason. It was by far the best. I knew it would be. I didn't start this late at night because I knew I could not stop until I finished and I was right. This book had me hooked from the first page. Lynette's books always get me hooked from the beginning.  In this book Macey had gone through a traumatic experience a few years before. She has no memory of what happened but has nightmares of what happened to her. She is afraid to let anyone get close to her. She is afraid that anybody close to her will die. Eventually she has no choice but to trust Chad, her next door neighbor who is also a detective. I liked the way the love story developed in this novella. It did not feel rushed or anything since Chad has always hoped Macey would open up and talk more to him about her troubles.

This novella collection is due to be released on April 26, 2016. Thanks to Netgalley and  Bethany House Publishers for allowing me to preview this book.



No comments: