Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Wedding Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini

This is not the usual Jennifer Chiaverini book. Usually her books are in the present time or we are reading about an ancestor or those who came in contact or was influenced by the ancestors. This book fast forwards to the year 2028. All of the oldest quilters of Elm Creek such as Sylvia, Agnes and Gretchen have long since died. It is 2028 and Sarah's daughter is going to get married. The book goes back and forth with Sarah remembering events that took place between the years her twins were born to the time her daughter gets married. I can see by the reviews here that some did not enjoy a book that was in the future but I did. Some people felt that Jennifer put too much of her political opinions in the book but that didn't bother me too much. It's not more than what she has in any of her other books. The only problem I have with the book and what bothers me about a lot of her books is that she will refer to a character that we were introduced to in another book. I could not remember who Abel Wright was even though I have read all of her books. I don't personally own all of her books so I could not look up this character but just assumed he was a character from one of her three or four Civil War books. Had I know that this character would be in the book I would have checked that book out of the library. I wish she would put a family tree and a character listing on her website so we could know who was who and what time period that they were in

No comments: