Thursday, September 7, 2017

Assaulted Caramel (Amish Candy Shop Mystery, #1)Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bailey King gets a call from her Amish grandmother that her grandfather is seriously ill. Bailey at the time is living and working in New York City as a chocolatier. She is up for the position as a head chocolatier but goes to Ohio anyway to see to her grandfather who she got her love of chocolates from. Her grandparents own and operate a candy shop in Ohio. While she is there a businessman who is trying to buy up all the Amish businesses on the block where her grandparents operate is murdered inside their candy shop. He is stabbed with a candy knife. Her grandparents had been the last holdout into this shady man's dealing. They refused to sell out. The Amish shops on both sides of the candy shop at sold out. Bailey tries to investigate but there is tight lips among the Amish community. What are they hiding and who are they trying to protect? I did not know who the killer was until it was revealed to the main character and I was shocked. I love a story where I am not able to guess who the murderer was.

There were moments in this book that kept me laughing such as the pet pig who has free reign inside a church. Also Bailey's best friend Cass who came down from New York to fetch her was a hoot. You never knew what was going to come out of her mouth.

Assaulted Caramel is the first in the Amish Candy Shop mysteries. I look forward to reading Lethal Licorice which is will be released in the Spring of 2018.



View all my reviews

No comments: