Monday, January 9, 2017

Still Life by Dani Pettrey

Second in the Chesapeake Valor series this book features Parker and Avery who we met in the last book. Parker and Avery started having feelings in the last book but did not follow through because Parker still was not over his first love who was murdered several years prior. Also, Avery has things in her past that she doesn't know whether or not Parker could handle.

The story starts off with a mystery. Avery's friend Skylar is missing and they suspect she may already be dead. You don't know until the end of the book the fate of Skylar. Is she alive or dead? Skylar was a friend of Avery's before Avery became a Christian. Skylar does not have the best reputation and she has hung out with some unsavory people. I loved how Parker stood by Avery giving her support in finding out what happened to her friend.  There are many suspects who could have been responsible for the missing girl. Let me tell you I was surprised. I didn't see that coming.

There is also another plot involving Muslins. This plot confused me being thrown into the story. It would have been  less confusing had this plot had it's own book or have been more clearly defined. There were too many characters in that storyline that I could not keep straight. I supposed it will be resolved in another book and we will find out the connection?  I'm looking forward to the next book which is supposed to come out in the Fall.

Thanks to Netgalley and Bethany House for providing me a digital copy of this book to review. This book is due to be released on January 31, 2016

No comments: