Monday, October 1, 2012

To Whisper Her Name by Tamera Alexander

I enjoyed reading this novel because it takes place in Nashville, Tennessee where I was born and raised and only moved there after I married. I had the privilege of visiting the beautiful historic Belle Meade estate a few years ago. Since I have previously visited Belle Meade I was able to picture all the sites in my head when the descriptions of the property and buildings were described. Growing up in Tennessee I could smell the air in my head.

With the exception of the first few pages the story takes place just after the Civil War. Olivia Aberdeen's husband has just been hung for being a traitor to the see but she sheds no tears over the loss of a husband who was extremely cruel to her. Riley Cooper comes to Belle Meade intending to only stay a short time to learn everything he can from Bob Green, Mr. Harding head horse trainer. Bob Green is former slave at Belle Meade and well respected by William Giles Harding for his knowledge of horses. Riley has plans on relocating to Colorado. He did not intend to stay a long time at Belle Meade but falling in love with Olivia was not in his plans. He is also harboring a secret from Olivia and the Hardings that he indeed did fight in the Civil War but he fought on the opposite side. Olivia has her own secrets and that she is deathly afraid of horses.

I do not want to give too much of the story away. What little I have told is revealed in the first chapter. You will have to read this story for yourself to see how Olivia and Riley overcome their problems.

Thanks to Netgalley for providing me a e-book of this book to review.

No comments: